How To Know If You’ve Been Hacked
In the recent years, it has become increasingly difficult to detect when your information or accounts have been hacked. The software that hackers use
Efforts can be made in advance to prevent infections, such as the use of antivirus/anti-malware software. However, once the system has been infected, antivirus software will often fail to detect and remove them. In order to stay protected, it is important to be aware of the signs and symptoms of a hack in your system.
Here is a list of common signs of an infection. Please note that these signs can result from a variety of reasons and do not necessarily mean that you are being hacked. Nonetheless, finding out why they happen can possibly prevent a great amount of damage done.
10 Signs You’ve Been Hacked
- Frequent pop-up windows – especially those that encourage you to visit external sites which appear unusual
- Unauthorized mass emails being sent out from your email address
- Periodic and frequent computer crashes or unusually slow computer functioning
- Unauthorized changes to your passwords
- Unfamiliar programs that open when you start your computer
- Unauthorized changes to content on documents or other files
- Internet searches that are continually being redirected to unfamiliar pages
- Fake virus messages
- Loss of control of your computer function
- Getting a ransom message requesting payment in the form of online currency
What to Do Next:
- An important first step in putting a quick stop to the hacker’s control over your system is to disconnect the internet immediately. In doing so, if the hacker is in your computer, you will be removing his source of connection. You can do this by unplugging the router.
- Next, you’ll want to run anti-virus software that you trust to see if it detects any possible infection.
- If you haven’t already done so, back up all important files in an external cloud or hard drive- whichever one is best suited for you and your company.
Have any questions or want to learn more about data breaches and how you can protect your information? Contact Armada Cloud today!